The MATWIN's team
MATWIN relies on a tight operational team, fully dedicated to its partners and supported project leaders
Current Managing Director of Gustave Roussy, a specialist in lung cancer, precision medicine, and cancer immunology, Professor Fabrice Barlesi is internationally recognized. Author and co-author of over 400 scientific articles that have been featured in international peer-reviewed journals, Professor Barlesi has been awarded numerous prizes including the prestigious Heine H. Hansen Prize by the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) and the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC). He is one of the most influential researchers in the world (Highly cited researchers of the Web of Science Group).
In 2009, he created the Multidisciplinary Oncology and Therapeutic Innovations Department of the North Marseille Hospital (AP-HM). Then, in 2011, the Center for Early Trials in Cancerology in Marseille (CLIP2), two structures that he directed until 2020. He is co-founder of Marseille Immunopôle, a public–private French immunology network, which aims coordinate immunological expertise in the Aix-Marseille metropolitan area. As part of this initiative Professor Barlesi leads the Pioneer Project, a major international research programme with the objective of improving our understanding of resistance to anti-PD-1/PD-L1 immunotherapy in lung cancer and preventing and overcoming it.
Lucia Robert has over 20 years of professional experience linked to the promotion of research results. With a good knowledge of the processes and players in technology transfer, she has been managing and operational management of the MATWIN platform for almost 10 years as well as all industrial and institutional partnerships.
Through multidisciplinary leadership experience in both the private and public sectors, Lucia has developed recognized expertise in the management of transfer activities and public-private partnerships (public establishments, industrial partners, investors). After having created then directed the research valorization service of the University of Bordeaux 2, Lucia then put her skills and her network at the service of the City of Bordeaux, then ended up taking the direction of MATWIN in 2010 to coordinate the nationwide program and enable its international development.
Guirec holds an Engineering Degree in Biotechnology and Bioproduction. He has worked for various structures in the ecosystem of R&D and Innovation in biotechnology for Healthcare (StartUp, CRO, Academic Lab).
He turned to the field of financing in order to work at the interface of science and the economic world. He appraised and supported innovative projects in the field of Biotherapies and Bioproduction for the Banque Publique d’Investissement.
With a Bachelor of business administration degree, Stéphanie Dhont improved her foreign languages skills through various long stays abroad (England, Mexico, United States) She has experienced many different jobs in various areas from hotel industry to video games or even transportations. Very polyvalent, she joined MATWIN team in late 2014 as management assistant. She is managing administration and accounting, as well as communication and and events organization.
Beyond its operational team, MATWIN surrounds itself with a network of experts to support each project. The specific skills of each of these experts make it possible to meet the very different needs of the projects supported by MATWIN.
Thierry VERRECCHIA leverages his 25 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry and the stock market by supporting the ecosystem of health technology startups.
• support startups in their fundraising journey
• ability to onboard large international multidisciplinary teams, including partnerships
• R&D expertise from the research stage to the advanced stage, including the CMC and interaction with regulatory agencies (FDA and EMA)
• skills with financial assessment tools and the pharmaceutical market, opportunity to successfully lead strategic thinking, market access, R&D strategy and business development vision
• ability to manage up to 50 M€ of budgets in various therapeutic areas
• audacity, adaptability, teamwork and leadership
Dr. Avenard is Board member or adviser for several companies and Chief Executive Officer of G1J-IDF, a seed venture fund in Life Sciences. From 1997 to 2010, he served as Chief Operating Officer of BioAlliance Pharma SA (BIO – NYSE-EURONEXT) since he co-founded the company. From 1990 to 1997, Dr. Avenard served as Medical Director of Development in the Cassenne Laboratories division of Hoechst Marion Roussel (Sanofi-Aventis Pharma).From 1976 to 1990, Dr. Avenard held various positions with the National Blood Transfusion Center in Paris, including Medical Director of Bio-Transfusion (LFB), providing human plasma products. He has also served as a physician in hemobiology and blood transfusion at the Blood Center of Pitié-Salpétrière Hospital in Paris. Dr. Avenard received his MD as well as degrees in hematology and hemobiology & blood transfusion from the School of Medicine at the University of Paris V. He is currently member of the Biotech Working Group at LEEM (pharmaceutical French trade association). He is also expert for Research Tax Credit at the Ministry of Research.
Emmanuel Conseiller is a professional of innovation in life sciences with a strong leadership experience (25 years) in drug discovery and diagnostic test development in Pharmaceutical industry and in Biotech.
He developed a recognized expertise in oncology, genomics and genetics, translational research and personalized medicine with many track records in strategic integration of diverse scientific information, implementation of innovative life science technologies and approaches, interfacing private and academic research and in technology transfer.
- MD-PhD specialized in gastroenterology and oncology with 15 years’ experience in people management and healthcare product management.
- Hepato-Gastroenterologist in France during 15 years & member of French Gastro Intestinal Societies (SFED, FFCD)
- Always operating in Personalized/Precision Medicine landscape
- Experience in clinical development (early to late clinical development, Phase 0 to Phase IV), training and education
- Expertise on consulting activities: Medical & business strategies for oncology focused biotechnologies
- Executive MBA HEC Paris (Major: Services. Center for Services Leadership Arizona State School of Business; Phoenix, AZ)
- Keen on cutting-edge science
- Extensive European Oncology network
- Field and Marketing experience
- Great knowledge of targeted therapies in Oncology and Hematology
- Expertise in Diagnostic tools (Companion tests, biomarkers, Genomic)
- Leadership and entrepreneurial focused
Jean-Yves Bonnefoy is CEO of Anagenesis Biotechnologies since January 2014. He is also President of the Life Sciences Competitiveness Cluster, Alsace BioValley, Board member of biotech companies Anagenesis and SILABE and of the engineer school ESBS. He is a member of the scientific advisory board of iTeos Therapeutics and Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers. He is also member of the investment committee of the TTO, SATT Conectus. Before Anagenesis Biotechnologies he co-founded Transgene Spin-off, ElsaLys Biotech. He was for 8 years VP, R&D of Transgene SA. From 2002 to 2005, he launched and managed the Canceropole Lyon Rhône-Alpes. From 1992 to 2002, he headed the Centre d’immunologie Pierre Fabre. From 1998 to 2002, he was Director of the Immunology Department of the Glaxo-Wellcome Institute in Switzerland. From 1985 to 1987, he was scientist at the Research Centre of Schering-Plough in France. He is author and co-author of more than 200 publications and reviews (H-index 55-30-13). Jean-Yves holds a PhD in Immunology, a “Thèse 3ème cycle” in Biochemistry and followed the Senior Management Program of the London Business School, in the UK.
Executive and non-executive managerial, technical and scientific skills in highly innovative and technology oriented environments for international start-up and grown-up companies in the Life sciences (Medical Devices / Clinical Development / Medical Imaging), and IT areas:
- Research and Development, information technology and SW development expertise
- Medical Imaging for Drug Development and Patient Care
- Regulatory and Quality Assurance frameworks for Medical device, Drug Development and In-Vitro Diagnostics
- Information Systems
- Operations / Customer Services / Program Management
- Fund raising / IPO
- Corporate development, strategic partnerships
- Independent board member
Trained as a doctor, Marie-Pierre Chevalier has more than 20 years of experience in major international pharmaceutical groups in various positions in clinical development, business development, KOLs management in different therapeutic fields such as oncology, rare diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, chronic inflammatory diseases, etc.
For the past 10 years, she has successfully led the open-innovation entity of Pfizer France, creating numerous collaborations between the group’s global R&D and academic or Biotechs teams.
More recently, she initiated the organization’s digital transformation with the launch of two startup acceleration programs.
Very involved in the health innovation ecosystem, she has been a member of several life science investment funds such as the InnoBio Fund and the Autonomous Patient Fund.
She also served on the selection committee of the iPEPs incubator of the Brain and Marrow Institute at the Hôpital de La Pitié-Salpêtrière in Paris.
Dr. Thérèse Croughs has more than 20 years of experience in clinical development and regulatory affairs. She has worked in companies of varying sizes and clinical stages of development in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries in Europe, North America and Asia.
Thérèse Croughs began her career in the pharmaceutical industry at Bayer, where she worked on protocol definition and the conduct of several clinical trials, as well as the registration of several products, including r-FVIII in hemophilia. A. After 10 years at Bayer, Thérèse joined the Novo Nordisk team as International Medical Advisor for the clinical development in Europe of r-FVIIa for the treatment of severe bleeds. Thérèse Croughs continued her career at BioAlliance Pharma, where she held the position of Director of the Adhesive Technology and New Business Unit and Director of European Regulatory Affairs. More recently and for more than 6 years, Thérèse Croughs was the Medical Director of Cytheris where she was in charge of regulatory strategy and international development of the IL-7 immunotherapy program (r-hIL-7, a factor growth of the immune system). Thérèse Croughs is a graduate of the Faculty of Medicine of the Catholic University of Louvain – Brussels, Belgium. Since 2015, she is Chef Medical Officer for NEOVACS.
Dr Joël Crouzet is the CEO of Ermium Therapeutics. He has more than 30 years of experience in the Biotech and the Pharma industry. He has been the cofounder and CEO of InnaVirVax, a French biotech that developed a therapy for HIV infection up to phase 2 clinical trial. Joël has had various positions in several biotech companies (Genetica, AP cells, Neurotech and Alfact Innovation) and in the Pharma (Rhone-Poulenc Rorer now part of Sanofi Aventis) and has been involved actively in 5 different drug candidates studied in the clinic. Scientific by training, Joël is a co-author of more than 60 peer reviewed publications.
Jean-Marc HERBERT has more than 30 years of industrial experience in pharmaceutical R & D at international scientific and managerial positions.
Jean-Marc was Senior Vice President, Head of Discovery at Sanofi. Jean-Marc has been instrumental in the discovery and development of more than 70 drug candidates including marketed products such as Plavix® and Arixtra®. He holds an engineering degree in Biochemical Engineering and a PhD in Cellular and Molecular Biology from the University of Clermont-Ferrand. He did his Ph.D. in Cell Biology and Biochemistry at the Clinical Research Center in London (UK).
Today Jean-Marc is President of ARKELY-Consulting, a consulting company in translational research for the discovery and development of innovative medicines.
– Oncology – Hematology Business Unit Manager in France ( Marketing and Sales with 250 people and 960 Mio € turnover )
– Global experience as Life Cycle Leader (LCL) acting as “General Manager “ of a biologic brand / Franchise
– Expertise in the fields of Marketing, Sales and Management
– Extensive knowledge of the hospital field and different therapeutic areas (Oncology , Immuno oncology ,Hematology, Genomic Profiling ,Hemophilia, Neurology(MS), rheumatology, Auto Immune disease, anemia, transplantation, nephrology, infectious diseases…) High level of involvement in the commercial approach (hospital tenders)
– More than 20 years experience in Strategy, Operations, Business Development in Pharma and Biotechs.
– Project coordination and development as Project director with Sanofi
– Set-up of a Biotech-like research insitute, from Business Model elaboration up to effective implementation
– Acting COO, CBO and Head BD
– Biotech consultancy: early stage projects positioning, market potentials, Operations, Business, acting CBO, acting COO, transactions, negotiations, alliance and key partnerships management, commercial license negotiation and management….
– Expertise in rare disease, gene therapy, oncology, diabetes and cardiovascular drug development from R&D to market.
– Member of Executive Committee in charge of Operations and Business Development in Biotechs.